Thursday, December 27, 2012

Finally it begins!
a nursery post

For awhile now, I have been volunteering working* part time at what I love with an edible garden design here, an installation there, and pondering the lack of suppliers for the plants that I use. Many, and I mean many of the plants that I installed in other's oasis were from my own stock so it got me to thinking that there was a need for a plant nursery that sold not merely useful but beautiful plants for edible landscaping.

Photobucket
Future site of some propagation beds.

I collected seeds, hunted down cultivars, spend a year trying to find a place, had another baby and my share of mayhem and now finally I'm ready to begin. Instead of being all mum about it, I'd like to invite you on the journey of trying to set up my own nursery. Don't worry this won't replace those other fun posts where I talk about weird stuff I see in the garden or neglecting** plants experiments with growing techniques. I'll include those too!

In the meantime, I have a name and a logo that I am drawing up as we speak. A plant list that I'm trying to keep manageable for starting this spring and a lot of trepidation about all that could go wrong along with hope about what could go right.

Photobucket
No, that's not the name but there may be unusual Taraxacum on the plant list.

* I haven't quite got the hang of charging people all the time.
** Oh yes, I've even started keeping excellent records, particularly for breeding and stabilizing varieties.

10 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

How exciting. I know I'd love a nursery that does edible landscape plants around here. Or I would have when we designed and planted up the yard.

MikeH said...

Fantastic. Check your email.

Regards,
Mike

Ottawa Gardener said...

MikeH: You're a peach! :D

AnitaH2 said...

How great to be able to follow this journey! Best of luck to you!

Bev said...

Exciting! Are you going to have time to do garden plans still? Easier to charge for them under the nursery banner.

Unknown said...

Congratulations to you! I also have a small nursery, growing all organic, heirloom plants from seed, so if you'd ever like to chat/brainstorm, please feel free to send me a note. It's very exciting (but can also be very frustrating), so it's always nice to know a kindred spirit! Cheers and best wishes to you for embarking on your dream!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, that sign is absolutely hilarious! Good luck with your nursery!

sensiblegardening said...

All the best to you in your new adventure, never be shy about charging for all the hard work and effort you do.

Extreme Gardener said...

Yay! Great idea, wish we didn't have an international border between us. Are you going to have an online sales presence?

Ottawa Gardener said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I suspect I'm going to need it! ;)