Monday, March 29, 2010

Quick Harvest Monday

As I was digging roots out of the ground for you, I thought, what would Veggie Patch readers prefer - the dirty or the clean photo?

Photobucket
From left to right: daylily tubers, parsnips from the pathetic parsnip patch last year, a parsley root and two self seeded parsnips looked great from last year.

Speaking of dirt, check out how much better our soil is than when we first moved in. You can see how this shovelfull reveals a sandy, lighter textured soil beneath the darker, more organic rich surface that is kept mulched with compost, leaf mould or other organic conditioner throughout the year. If I were to go a shovelful further, you would see a progressive lightening of texture and colour with the occasional greyish clay lens. Nice to see (not) hard work pay off.

Photobucket
The partially finished compost that it was topdressed with last fall is ready for another coat of organic matter after spring seeds have germinated.

You really wanted to see the dirty one, didn't you?

Photobucket
Roots with dirt on them, fresh from the garden.

12 comments:

michelle said...

Yes, show me the dirt! te he he

Parsnips are on my gardening agenda this year for the first time. I got seeds for a variety that is more beet shaped. One way or another it will be interesting, well, to me at least.

Kara said...

Yeah, show the dirt! hehe

Those are some nice looking veggies. I'm not a fan of Parsnips, but they sure are attractive roots.

Dan said...

I'd love some of those parsnips! They are so good when homegrown and harvested after a cold period.

miss m said...

Hope mine look as good as yours !

PJ said...

Oooh I love both the dirty and the clean. Did you have any trouble with the parsnips? I am growing them this year for the first time!

Mac said...

If it is edible anything with dirt on it is good.
Nice looking roots.

Anonymous said...

I still haven’t decided to grow parsnips, as they are too difficult to grow (or so they say).
If I ever decide to grow them, I hope they will be as good looking as yours.

Dirt picture is what a gardener wants to see. The clean one is for those that buy vegetables. :-)

Ottawa Gardener said...

Michelle: Is it called Kral?

Prue: No trouble growing them, just some old seed that didn't germinate very well or at least that's what I remember.

vrt: They are not difficult to grow if you can get good, fresh seed. They need to go in the ground really early to have a long season to develop a big root. Their germination time is a bit slow so people often suggest marking the row with radishes or something. The trick is to have loosely textured soil or grow a turnip rooted variety like Michelle is. The first couple years I didn't have much germination but I think it was because of poor quality seed. In fact, as a statement of how easy they are to grow, the ones on the right of my picture had seeded themselves from a mother plant I let go to seed.

Daphne Gould said...

I've never done parsnips. Nor have I ever eaten them. But yes we did want to see the dirty ones.

Stefaneener said...

I apparently like it dirty, too.

Mers said...

Do you eat the day lily tubers? If so, what do you do with them?

Ottawa Gardener said...

Mers: Yes, though I'm not yet convinced by the flavour.