Sunday, April 25, 2010

Harvest Monday - Scorzonera

Photobucket
This is the variety Belstar, from Europe though there are North American suppliers.


As I had to remove some scorzonera roots when I took out the back vegetable garden patch, I thought I'd finally get around to trying them and I was not disappointed. These were three year old roots and they had no hint of bitterness, were not fiborous or woody. The flavour was delicate and sweet, not overwhelming though I peeled them this time. Next time (when I find my veggie brush), I will eat them with the skins on. One word of caution, if you don't wear gloves and peel the roots, your hands will be temporarily stained orange. It goes away after a couple days...


Photobucket
A whole meal in one plant. The roots and shoots were cooked separately.


I had been harvesting the leaves which are commonly referred to as a delicious lettuce substitute. I find them a bit hairy raw but sauteed with leeks and sprinkled with red wine vinegar, they were excellent.


It looked as if you might be able to make crown cuttings and replant part of the root. Further experimentation needed!

9 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

You sometimes come up with the most unusual harvests. I'd never heard of that plant before.

michelle said...

Very nice! I've heard of scorzonera before but never tasted it, much less grown it.

Angela said...

This is a type of salsify, isn't it? My husbands loves it. I never thought about growing it in my garden... Thanks for the idea, I need to try growing it.

Anonymous said...

This is a new vegetable for me. Never seen one, never head of it...

I just love learning new things!

Jane said...

I wondered what scorzonera was - it looks sort of like burdock root. What an interesting vegetable!

miss m said...

You say these were three years old ? I'm growing some this year. Will I be able to harvest the first year ? Btw, very nice !

Ottawa Gardener said...

Angela: It is supposed to taste similar to salsify though it's not the same Genus.

Miss M.: I agree, it does look like burdock root.

I think most people that grow it, harvest the first year like parsnip. I was growing it perennially to eat the shoots rather than the roots but dug up part of the garden so I thought I'd try all it's edible parts.

Anonymous said...

I've read about scorzonera and salsify in seed catalogs, but have never know anyone who actually grew either, much less ate them. I may have to give them a try.

Stefaneener said...

Sounds like fun. I've heard of it but like Michelle, not had it.